Well after one freezing winter we have the most gorgeous – and hot – start to the summer!
The vest tops and shorts are out and in come hours of sitting in the garden, or, if you are lucky, by the sea or pool.
However, for the majority of us we’re just not used to this constant sunshine and for many can lead to painful sunburn and days of sitting indoors!
But if you just take a few moments to think and look at ways of protecting yourself you’ll be safe whilst maintaining healthy skin for years to come.
The NHS website advises us to:
- Spend time in the shade when the sun is strongest. In the UK, this is between 11am and 3pm from March to October.
- make sure you never burn
- cover up with suitable clothing and sunglasses
- take extra care with children
- use at least factor 15 sunscreen
You should take extra care in the sun if you:
- have pale, white or light brown skin
- have freckles or red or fair hair
- tend to burn rather than tan
- have many moles
- have skin problems relating to a medical condition
- are only exposed to intense sun occasionally – for example, while on holiday
- are in a hot country where the sun is particularly intense
- have a family history of skin cancer
Of course, for those of us who come under some of the bullet points above probably the safest way is to apply a cream which will gradually give you a nice even tan over time. Or alternatively, book a spray tan. This can be done at a beauty salon or if you prefer at home by the many mobile services available.
The technician will be able to advise on the appropriate colour for your skin and how long it will last (usually about a week). This is great if you are going to a special event or first week of your summer holiday. It also makes you feel good and look slimmer. And it makes those all-important teeth look a little whiter.
Be sure to book a professional, you can do this by looking at their website, qualifications and testimonials from clients and how long they have been running their business.
At West Midlands Nail and Beauty Academy we offer a ½ day spray tanning course with no entry requirements. You’ll learn how to apply a professional tan using Sienna Spray tanning products which we feel are the best on the market. It’s a great way to increase your portfolio if you are running your own beauty business and you can charge between £25-£35 depending on your location. Do get in touch to find out more.
In the meantime safe tanning all and enjoy this wonderful weather!!